Getting ready for winter camping

Tents, Bags, Hammocks, Cooking, Cleaning. This is all the stuff you need to provide yourself some shelter.
opfor
tactical nylon fetishist
Getting ready for winter camping

Post by opfor » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:05 pm

I spend all summer watching youtube videos about snow camping. Mostly because I'm fucking tired of the heat. It's starting to get cold enough in the evenings that a light jacket is required, and in about 2 months there will probably be snow on the local mountains, and there certainly will be snow further afield.

It's getting to be time to re-pack my winter ruck, and there's some things I want to upgrade this year.

* Thermarest - Or other camp pad, at the moment I'm still using the coleman inflatables which are bulky and heavy, but also super comfy. Biggest issue is re-packing in sub-freezing temps. Walmart is selling a thermarest branded self-inflater for about $50. I think I want the large one though. I do have a Ridgerest SOLITE but it's really bulky.

* Sleeping Bag - I bought one of the "10F sleeping bag"s branded by walmart under their ozark trail brand. It's saved my ass a few times as an emergency car bag. I slept in it coming back from WA last year when I hit a snowstorm near Lakeview OR. But I ended up having a fitful night's sleep a few weeks later up at crystal lake. In general, I think a lot of the temperature ratings applied to bags are slipping. I know my older coleman bag is spot on comfy down into the 40's, and into the 30's with a fleece liner.

The other thing I need to work up is a food packing list. In previous years I defaulted to MREs and canned food. Taking on the new diet I'm really getting away from much of this. I've been doing the Mountain House foods for a while, however the calorie counts are often lower than what I want, and not all of the meals are very tasty. This is often compounded by the environment. I think in general, I'm going to start carrying way more meat. I've been watching this guy's videos, he's all about winter camping and carries what look to be multi-pound steaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_cPhbLMr9Q
OPFOR - Moderator of the Moderated.