First Aid Kits by Type

First Aid Kits, Advanced Medical Kits, Dealing with Field Hygiene
opfor
tactical nylon fetishist

First Aid Kits by Type

Post by opfor » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:01 pm

So I was talking to Dempsy the other day about IFAKs, and he has several options he's working on, however it got me thinking about "best kit for X"

There are certain products that I use for certain things, that are appropriate in that setting, but may not be appropriate in another setting. For this reason, I figured I would define some settings and then talk about what I would put in, and how it would be used.

Hiker FAK - Hiking presents some unique challenges, and will have certain elements to it that aren't really appropriate or necessary in other settings. I'm looking to adjust these, but let me just throw these out there
  • Bandaids - 1 doz medium cloth type, 1 doz small cloth type, 6 knuckle/finger.
  • 6" Ace Bandage
  • Anti-biotic ointment (single serving 6 packets)
  • Asprin - Altitude sickness
  • Ibuprofen - Aches and pains
  • Diphenhydramine - Stings, allergic reactions
  • Bug/Burn gel with lidocane (or spray)
  • Leukotape - Blisters
  • Moleskin - for shoes
  • Hand sanitizer
  • EMT Shears
Hunter FAK - The hunter kit is designed to deal with some of the same issues as the hiker kit, long mileage, and small injuries that one might get along the hunt. However it has a few additions that may be required when a severe laceration happens while skinning game.
  • Everything in the hiker kit
  • Kerlix rollers
  • 4x4s
  • Saline Wash
  • Iodine antisceptic
I just thought I would throw these out there. It's a concept I'm still working, but wanted to get some feedback.
OPFOR - Moderator of the Moderated.

lrsrngr
noob

Re: First Aid Kits by Type

Post by lrsrngr » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:52 am

Hunter/Active Shooter kit:

o Israeli Bandage 4" and 6"
o 3' x 9' Petroatum (Vaseline) Guaze Strip and 2" tape (for open pneumothorax or sucking chest wound)
o Tourniquet(s)
o Self-adherent (Coban) wrap
o Clotting gauze in addition to other gauze

First aid (boo-boo) kit vs. trauma kit supplies that are relevant to stab and gun shot wounds
HUA: Heard, Understood, Acknowledged

opfor
tactical nylon fetishist

Post by opfor » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:21 pm

At the moment, the NAR IPOK has kinda become our standard kit

https://www.narescue.com/individual-patrol-officer-kit

I usually suggest the S-Rolled gauze, this makes the kit around $45 seems to be the street price. I've been bugging demp to come up with a competitor kit for it. The big problem these days with a lot of trauma type stuff is the very high premium it comes with.

For my use a kit that comes in a sealed bag that contains the following would be ideal:
  • ABD Pad/Isreali Bandage
  • Chest Seal - Halo or Hyfin
  • Cat 7 Tourniquet (others?)
  • Kerlix Rollers
  • Hemostatic bandage
There has been so much going on out there in regards to chinese copies of the CAT gen 7, that it's a little easy to get phobic about the various options out there. Recon Medical has been one of the more obvious ones that has been around for years, there really isn't a lot of info out there on actual casualty care. This is the best endorsement of the Recon Medical I've seen: https://gununiversity.com/recon-medical-tourniquet/

Certainly in the scheme of things, having A TQ is better than having none, and depending on the threat profile, having 2 is better than one. In many ways the cost of the CAT g7 ~$30 adds so much to the kit cost it probably makes more people just not carry one. The real goal here is to use group resource power to buy in quantity to drop the cost. Demps is willing to do some of that, FWIW I think we should support him. I'll probably catch up with him this week, and see where he's at and what he's up to.

Demp
noob

Post by Demp » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:35 am

Hi Guys. I sent 0p some stuff to check out and review. I offer a couple of products right now. I'll be expanding the line as I go. One thing i'm never going to do is upsell shit you don't need. If someone else offers a better kit for a better price. I'll be the first to tell you.
Thanks

opfor
tactical nylon fetishist

Post by opfor » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:48 am

@arclight is always the one to talk to about kits. He's a bit more wholistic than I am on things.