Post by nacho » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:13 am

That looks really nice and clean.

opfor
tactical nylon fetishist

Re: IFAKs Group Buy?

Post by opfor » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:37 am

So after a bunch of searching, I randomly came across this kit:

http://www.tacmedsolutions.com/products ... rator-IFAK

It's got everything we were kinda looking for except instead of a chest seal, it has occlusive dressings and tape. It also doesn't have an ABD pad or a compression dressing. These run about $10 and can be added ourselves. Unit cost is $73.42 or +$3 if you want a multi-cam pouch. For the most part, this seems to be a good "oh fuck" blowout type kit. There's just a few things we need to add...
OPFOR - Moderator of the Moderated.

arclight
Operator

Post by arclight » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:08 pm

Another baseline to start from is this article I wrote about 10 years ago. I still have spreadsheets/etc detailing the cost and details for making a group buy.

https://survivalblog.com/getting-your-g ... -buy-in-t/

Arclight
Last edited by arclight on Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

opfor
tactical nylon fetishist

Post by opfor » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:17 pm

Kinda the main push for this was to have something for treating serious traumatic injury while we're at the range. I've still got a franken-FAK that's been upgraded, resupplied, etc, since that first round of kits you did... 10 years ago?

arclight
Operator

Post by arclight » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:12 am

I'll dig out the list from the first group buy. Aside from trauma, the emphasis was one "treating small problems before they become big." This includes things like diarrhea, fever and minor wounds that can later become serious. If your feet are messed up or you can't go 20 minutes between explosive butt problems, your effectiveness is limited.

opfor
tactical nylon fetishist

Post by opfor » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:36 am

I ended up going with an IPOK https://www.rescue-essentials.com/nar-i ... eration-7/

Arguably, the biggest problems I've had anywhere that I needed medical treatment for, where it wasn't available, and something needed to be done about it:

1) Headache
2) Splinters
3) Blisters
4) Cuts and Scrapes

On only one occasion did I catch a nail that went through my boot, foot, and out the other side. This did require somewhat serious treatment, in the form of taking the boot off, elevating the foot, and waiting for the bleeding to stop, walking out, and then getting a tetanus shot a few days later.

I've really managed to slim down most of my kits over the years, bandaids are usually good, as is advil, splinter removers are probably one of the most difficult to find kit items, and are still one of my "must have" items. Blisters and cut and scrapes are rarer, and often don't require much care beyond some triple and maybe a bandaid, it's usually the after-care that's going to matter on this one, which is a bit outside the scope of what we're going for here.

If you have the list, by all means post it, we should work it into a SOP.