Retevis DMR Radio

Discussion of Radios and Communications equipment. Baofeng, Motorola, Icom, Yaesu, It'll all be here one day!
opfor
tactical nylon fetishist
Retevis DMR Radio

Post by opfor » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:47 pm

I found this advertised on the CHiRP site: http://www.retevis.com/rt82-dual-band-d ... way-radio/

I haven't had any time to do any research on it yet, but seems quite interesting.
OPFOR - Moderator of the Moderated.

opfor
tactical nylon fetishist

Re: Retevis DMR Radio

Post by opfor » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:54 am

Ok, so after a bit of research (I kinda wanted to post the thread in part so I would remember to take a look and do some research) This is the newer model of the older TYT MD380. TYT has apparently launched a new model called the TYT MD-2017.

I'm still not that familiar with digital radio, and I don't think these will be especially compatible with the existing services we have, these seem to be running some version of Moto Turbo. What interests me most is that there seems to be a push to make these conform to IP-67 rating. That's really the only thing I consider a failing of the baofeng. The other big question on my part is what the battery life is with a fancier digital radio. I've also seen hacked firmware being available for these, so it's got me at least interested.

I'm from what I'm seeing and hearing, it seems these are still kinda marginal radios, and have some of the negative RF characteristics of the Baofengs (really wide front-end, but hey, when you're capable of hearing 50mhz in VHF and 120mhz in UHF, you need a wide front). There's still quite a bit I don't understand about trunking and some of the digital radio specs. but it's probably at least keeping an eye on.
OPFOR - Moderator of the Moderated.

nacho
Red Neck

Post by nacho » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:10 am

I think BB has one of the TYT DMR radios I don't know if he's used it a bunch though.

arclight
Operator

Post by arclight » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:08 am

Has anyone made frequency-hopping or privacy modes work with these yet?