DMR Radio Programming

Discussion of Radios and Communications equipment. Baofeng, Motorola, Icom, Yaesu, It'll all be here one day!
opfor
tactical nylon fetishist

DMR Radio Programming

Post by opfor » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:15 am

So, after buying the GD-77 that was talked about in another thread, I immediately became confused as to just what byzantine lunatics created both the software, and the logical order of how all this crap is supposed to be set up. I am still muddling through a number of topics, I do have the radio up and operating as a conventional analog radio, which is excellent. However that said, the next step is actually making use of the DMR functionality.

Thus far most people talk about just loading the DMR-MARC codeplug into CPS (yes, the programming software for the DMR radios is called CPS, which seems to span manufacturers) and is a non-intuitive logical nightmare. Thus far, the best "primer" on configuring the DMR radio is this:

https://www.jeffreykopcak.com/2017/06/1 ... code-plug/

I'm going to be digging through this, and bouncing around between it and CPS and seeing if I can get some things configured and make it work.

I know only myself and PBF have DMR radios at this point (at least of the chinese variety) the next step is making them work.
OPFOR - Moderator of the Moderated.

opfor
tactical nylon fetishist

Re: DMR Radio Programming

Post by opfor » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:44 am

So, we had an interesting outing tonight, and we kinda got things working, but kinda not.

PBF's Btech 6x2 was able to receive the transmissions from my GD-77, however my GD-77 was unable to receive transmissions from his radio. We are still somewhat working out the issue on this. That said, I was able to directly receive DMR texts, as well as we could use the "private call" feature without any issues. The final positive was I was able to receive his audio when my GD-77 was in monitor mode. We both exhaustively checked through the various options and are still working things out.

I think there may be something with the RX group in the settings that just made life difficult. I'm still trying to figure all of this out. That said, despite the GD-77 being a relatively new radio, it seems the modding community has already gone bonkers for it. I came across this link that goes from the mundane to the insane. http://members.optuszoo.com.au/jason.re ... 77mods.htm

There was also an extensive list of bugs put out by the same guy. Most of these are DMR related: http://www.rogerclark.net/list-of-radio ... d-77-bugs/

One commenter pointed this out:
In reference to the RX group set to none and not receiving: it appears this radio behaves unlike all other DMR radios in that you MUST have a RX group to hear anything on a channel unless you have “monitor” on. Every other DMR radio I have used will allow no RX group but will always un-mute and receive on the group listed as the TX Contact for the channel. It’s a bit frustrating since this seems to be the only model radio I’ve ever known to work like this. Not sure if this is a fixable issue?? I’m guessing it’s a firmware thing.
This largely describes the problem we were having, however I'm fairly sure I configured an RX Group. I will check my settings and try again.

opfor
tactical nylon fetishist

Re: DMR Radio Programming

Post by opfor » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:13 am

So one of my big complaints so far about the GD-77 is the terrible programming interface. I found this tonight, I haven't had a chance to try it out... but it purports to be a "Community Edition" CPS for programming the GD-77.

I have downloaded and attached it here.
Attachments
radioddity_gd-77_cps2.0.5-master.zip
(2.53 MiB) Downloaded 11 times